Tuesday 2 February 2021

Long weekend road trip

Nothing better than a road trip with loved ones to visit more loved ones.  

For various reasons I've missed attending nearly all my grandson's birthdays but this year my son and his wife planned to attend Aiden's 10th birthday party so I hitched a ride with them.

My daughter pulled out all the stops, everything was perfect.  Except for the wind, even Justine can't control the wind.  There was plenty of sunshine but the wind made it quite cold outside.  Not that Aiden and his mates felt the cold, they didn't sit still all afternoon.  Apparently, nerf guns are all the go with 10 yr old boys.  I thought that funny - I remember very clearly being admonished for making a pistol shape with my fingers and blowing imaginary smoke off the end of it in front of the child when he was a toddler.  I try to be a good grandmother but it's been difficult at times.

The birthday boy and his dad enjoying a private moment.

Birthday parties sure have evolved.  It would never have dawned on me to go to so much trouble for a child's party.  Mind you, everything I would have given my kids to eat would be frowned upon by the PC brigade, whereas all the edible offerings here were healthy.  Pretty sure it was all lost on the boys but the parents in attendance were impressed.

Must share a few comments from his mates that I overheard when Aiden was opening his presents.
"If you've already read it, I strongly recommend you sell it." (latest Harry Potter book)
"My mother bought it, don't shame me." 
"Oh no, I don't have that one, wish I'd kept it for myself." (as he opened a set of soccer cards that all the boys collect)

The boys sleeping quarters

The wind may have been strong in Taranaki but we had two absolutely perfect summer days for both the trip down and the return.  And, although we were travelling home on the last day of a long weekend, we had very few traffic holdups.  We must have fluked the best hours to be on the highway.  And it was a fluke because if my son had a planned departure time I blew that out of the water when I slept late.  

Westhaven Marina and Auckland city from the Harbour Bridge on Friday

Can't remember the name of this little coastal holiday spot on SH 3 on Monday.

Hah!  You thought you were going to get away without we showing you the mountain, didn't you?  Never.  I love that mountain in all seasons.  The snow has all gone but this mountain loves to show off, he wrapped a pretty cloud around his neck and let it float away in the breeze.


16 comments:

  1. Glad you had a safe trip and got to meet up with family for a while. I love that mountain too - it fascinates me with all its different moods.
    Hope the boys enjoyed their glamping :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, The boys loved their night in the tent, slept in quite late the next morning.

      Delete
  2. This looks a party to beat all parties. Certainly much posher than my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, the party was probably posher than my wedding, too. A festoon of balloons like that one (there were three of them) would have cost an arm and a leg back in the day.

      Delete
  3. It sure does sound like you had a lovely time, Pauline.

    I don't have any family...young or old...so am really out of the loop re what little kids today expect to receive as gifts. I think it must be more difficult than it used to be in years gone by.

    Unashamedly, I am still guilty of breaking all rules when it comes to giving lollies. My landlords' grand-kids' eyes light up every time they see me coming, knowing I have special treats for them. I would hate to disappoint them...to see their little faces drop, and their eyes grow sad. Such disappointment I couldn't handle!! :)

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our young eyes would not have believed what they were seeing had they witnessed this party, Lee. I would have thought I'd woken up in another universe. A birthday treat for me had been to choose what the family had for dinner and, of course, it had to be within the bounds of possibility. I always chose sausages, I always loved sausages or maybe I was aware that Mum couldn't afford fancy food.

      I carried on that tradition with my children and the son who I drove down to the party with was saying on the way home that he still loves gravy, his pick was always something with gravy, the way only I can make it. His wife is a chef and thinks it's a huge joke. Which, of course, it is but no-one can mess with his memories of Mum's special gravy.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about the gravy, Pauline...Our Nana who helped raise my brother and me made the best gravy, too...the old way. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fine time was had by all. It is true what you say about the nature of birthday parties these days. Our neighbours put on the most elaborate events for their two girls - a tad obscene in my opinion, and I don't want to think about the cost! Miriam and I are at that stage where birthdays just come and go. We might make a little more elaborate dinner and quaff a better vino, but that's about the extent of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, those birthdays do keep coming and going, don't they? A good party would be wasted on me, I'll leave that for the young.

      Delete
  5. As a child I really disliked birthday parties so if I had any I don't remember them. I can remember one or two that my children had but they were not elaborate affairs that's for sure. I'm glad that you had such a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend, Marie had a birthday party once, I think when we were 12, it was fantastic, we had a great time. Other than that I don't recall any parties when we were children. My birthday fell on the day after Australia Day, so there was always a long weekend which I thought was in my honour for a good many years. Each of my children had a small party when they were 5, 10 and 15 and a 21st. On other years they could invite one guest to have dinner with us and choose the dinner menu. Thank heavens they had reasonable simple tastes.

      I did have a wonderful weekend, thanks.

      Delete
  6. Thank you very much for thinking of me, Cyril. but I honestly don't want him back after over 30 years separation/divorce.

    How do these people find me??????

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds like a joyful time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was messymimi, I enjoyed every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly had a great time with your family. Thanks for sharing. It's good that you were able to celebrate with them after a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, Nothing like a good road trip! I saw the family at Christmas but it's always good to spend time with them.

      Delete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!