Wednesday 21 October 2020

A week somewhere else

Any time spent in Taranaki is time well spent in my book, even when it's a fair bit colder than here at home.  I didn't even complain about the wind.  Well, not much.  Spending time with my daughter and her family are added attractions, staying with her in her new home with a view of that marvellous mountain, Taranaki, make for the perfect getaway.

Taranaki is the home of Betty who hosts Welcome to my Corner of the World each week.  It might be just as well I don't live there all the time, I'd just post constant photos of that mountain.

I drove down there this time, didn't like the thought of wearing a mask for hours on two flights and while waiting in Auckland for the second flight.

I set my GPS for the temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Hamilton thinking that would be a good place for a little rest and walk around.  Should have looked it up before I left home, that would have saved me from driving out of my way only to be disappointed that it is closed for renovations (estimated to be completed in 2021).  The best I could do was a photo from the side of the road.

It wasn't very far out of my way, to be honest.  The same road gave me a very pleasant drive through to Pirongia where I had booked a Shed to stay the night.

 

A very creative couple had taken a half round farm shed and turned it into a funky and very comfortable one bedroom accommodation.  It had been raining lightly most of the way and continued to do so through the night, so I didn't get to enjoy the view of Mt Pirongia which is out there in that mist.  Despite the rain, I enjoyed what there was of the view.

It was still raining the next morning when I stopped for a cup of coffee at the Otorohanga playground.  The brightly coloured equipment looked as dismal as the weather with no children to be seen.


However, the weather cleared as I went further south and I could easily see the mountain as I drew nearer and started pulling off the road to take photos. 



My grandson, Aiden is soccer mad.  He's outside with his soccer ball for hours every day.  While I was there I got to attend his club prizegiving so could share the family pride when he won Most Valued Player for his team.


A great reward for the hours he puts in.  And a good lesson for a young bloke to learn - you have to  put in the time to reap the rewards.

This was very much a family visit, I didn't go off wandering.  Had a day shopping with my "shopper" daughter.  Three hours of it!  I was exhausted after that but have some nice new clothes that my daughter decreed as an improvement on my usual.  There are so many things one should think of when clothes shopping according to the fashionista.

Found this delightful spot one day in Pukekura Park.


Love your corner of the world, Betty.

27 comments:

  1. Good that you could do some touring. Perhaps after the Coronavirus we can travel once again. Congratulations to your Grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we wait for the borders to open, I'm thankful that we can at least travel within the country.

      Delete
  2. What's the Mormon temple being renovated into?
    Beautiful photos, I really ought to have made the effort to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the renovations are completed in 2021 I'll go back and let you know, Adrian. I can imagine the photos you would have taken if you had ever visited!

      Delete
  3. Good to see your update and hear your news. I am green with envy particularly this morning. In the "good ol' days" I'd have been starting my New Zealand summer this month. As it is I'm sitting at my breakfast bar writing this dressed up as if I was going for a polar exhibition despite the fact that the room is at 22ºC. The gale outside and the constant rain is psychologically chilling me to the bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Graham, at least we all have memories of the "good ol' days" to comfort us when the weather turns nasty. Too bad that comfort can't keep us warm, huh? I know if you stepped outside the first person you saw would be warmed by your good spirits.

      Delete
  4. the mountain is really beautiful - thanks for sharing the trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful mountain, Carol, and it never takes a bad photo.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tour of your trip. That mountain looks very much like our Mt. Rainier in Washington State. Beautiful sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Mt Rainier in that range of mountains one can see way, way in the distance from Victoria? I loved the sight of them when I visited there.

      Delete
  7. So beautiful, i understand what you mean about always wanting to take pictures of the mountains. Congratulations to your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just never tire of the sight of that mountain, mimi. It had a fresh dusting of snow while I was there to keep it looking spectacular.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I recognize that building in Hamilton, its quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to your grandson!

    The mountain vistas are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, that mountain is stunning. Lovely landscape and grandson :)
    "closed for renovations", seems familiar, the same happend to me when I was in Stockholm and wanted to take good shots of the Castle. It was wrapped in blankets :(
    I visited NZ once many years ago. I loved the nature I saw during that trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I should know it pays to check before you go out of your way to visit something. Glad you enjoyed your trip to NZ.

      Delete
  11. The mountain is amazing rain or shine I think. Everything is so green and lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow it always looks more lush and green in Taranaki than it does here, even when we are at our greenest. I think it's the cool air!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful mountain view. Congratulation to your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mountain never takes a bad photo, Nancy. Unless, of course, it is hidden under cloud which often happens.

      Delete
  13. How wonderful for you to get a taste of Taranaki! So glad you liked it! BTW, I have deleted hundreds of pictures of the mountain and still have plenty left!!

    Many thanks for your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taranaki is a photographer's dream, isn't it, beautiful from any angle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!