Wednesday 2 September 2020

Spring

 

 

Yesterday was warm and sunny, a brief taste of summer ahead.  Today is more like typical spring weather, cold scattered showers and windy.  I am not a lover of spring, except for the flowers.  And my sheep farming days are far enough behind me now to allow me to also appreciate the sight of lambs.  Lambing beats in spring were often not much fun.  

On a warm spring day, with the sun shining, the grass growing, and lambs frolicking in the paddock there is nothing nicer, especially if all is well in the birthing department.

Unfortunately, those days weren't as many in this changeable season which is likely to throw anything at you - sun, bitterly cold rain and winds, maybe even  frost.  And quite often it all happens on the same day so when I headed out to do the lambing beat I could be wearing a coat or a raincoat which when I warmed up I'd leave on a fence or by a gate, then have to rush back for it when the weather turned.  And when that south wind blew - I'd want to be in a far away place, anywhere rather than there surrounded by sheep that want to do exactly the opposite of what I wanted them to do.  Even a day old rescued lamb can get very heavy as you trudge back home with it slung over your shoulder.


I much preferred the softer side of the lambing season, keeping the rescued lambs in a cosy pen, reviving them when necessary, getting them healthy enough to be mothered onto a new mum as soon as possible.


8 comments:

  1. Lambing is far from fun but I do like eating them when they've grown a bit. My favourite meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers.

    Yes, ranching, farming, raising animals, none of it is for sissies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I detested tube feeding orphan lambs but was okay if they would take the bottle. Thankfully we never worked on a sheep farm for too many years!
    Your flowers are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not want to be reminded about tube feeding, Margaret. Some things are best forgotten. As for the flowers - I was fortunate enough to inherit a lovely lot of spring flowers when I moved recently, can't take any credit whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it has been quite changeable here, but the sunshine has been lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I look forward to short days and long nights I'd trade with you any time (but not for the lambing).

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!