Tuesday 10 March 2020

Giving feedback

Crikey, could they make it any harder to give positive feedback to an airline?  If I wanted to lodge a complaint I would have been finished hours ago.  To get an email address to send compliments I had to make a phone call and put in the inevitable wait for someone to answer and, even then, the young man I spoke to would have been happier, I think, if I'd wanted to post something on social media.  I thought I was going to have to be a bit rude (which would have been defeating the purpose somewhat) before I was given an avenue whereby the people concerned would receive my comments.

I was feeling slightly guilty that my feedback on the survey about my flight to Australia last week had been slightly negative.  After that flight I felt that Air New Zealand was pushing cultural diversity a little too far and checking boxes for one of everything amongst their cabin crew, regardless of their ability to smile and make eye contact.  

My return flights could not have been more different.  Maybe it helps to get extra attention when another passenger's bag falls from the overhead locker and hits you on the head and shoulder.  Luckily, it was a light bag!

The most impressive service was kept till last when somehow or other I managed to board the wrong plane, one bound for Gisborne rather than Whangarei. Those of you who frequent large airports might wonder how that is possible but Auckland regional flights often load two at a time in the same area. I was talking to the lady beside me, the staff member who was scanning our boarding passes said her gate number and I went that way, too, not realizing another flight had also been called to board.  When I realized I was on the wrong flight I had to disembark against the flow of boarding passengers and hurry to the correct gate.  Which, by that time, had been locked.  However, a ground crew came to my rescue and accompanied me to the plane.  Believe me, you feel a complete idiot when you board via the front of the plane and the eyes of all passengers are on you, that late passenger who is delaying departure and then you realize you've left your cabin bag on the other plane.  

The planes that fly in and out of Whangarei aren't very big, I think they carry 50 passengers.  There is only one cabin crew on each flight and they are pretty busy.  But the lovely blonde lady on this flight would never be too busy to not offer first-class service.  When she realized where my bag was, she spoke to the captain who said he could see the other plane was still on the tarmac and sent a ground crew to run across to it to retrieve my bag.  Meanwhile, the lovely man I had sat down beside was re-assuring me not to worry, these things happen, no-one minds.  And the lady sitting across from me leaned over to tell me she takes that flight every Sunday night and that she'd left her cabin baggage in the departure lounge twice in four weeks.

The flight attendant made light of the service, just smiled and said, "It's a team effort."  That is a darn good team!!  Thanks Air New Zealand.

In other news, I had a lovely if very brief catch up with brothers and sisters while I was away, at Noosa.  A couple of nights right in the middle of the tourist strip in Hastings Street, a few nights near the National Park at Little Cove and a final night around by the river. I also had a catchup with old friends with whom I first discovered Noosa as a teenage surfer.  That young girl would never have believed that she would be at Noosa for a week and not go for a surf.  But, then, she had never heard of airconditioning nor had any appreciation of how good it is when the barometer sits around 30C (86 F)



13 comments:

  1. What a story of your flight problems. Good on Air NZ. I doubt that you would get that service on any other airline in the world. lucky you to stay in Noosa for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, We are lucky to have a world class airline with small town ways. Noosa was lovely, as always.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had some great service. Always nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Michelle, great service is always appreciated, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauline. You seem to have fallen foul of something that a number of others have succumbed to. I can only see your bottom photo. Meike solved the problem by reloading them one at a time.

    I loved your story. I once tried the compliment game as well. I gave up. Then there was the chap who emailed a compliment to Virgin Trains. He got a letter of apology and a £10 voucher towards his next journey. Mind you they should never have let you on the wrong plane: that might have been hard for the cabin staff to explain when you got to Gisborne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, I've reloaded the photos one at a time, so hope that worked. Thanks for the tip. If I'd made it as far as Gisborne I'd admit to total idiocy and agree to never travel again.

      Delete
    2. Yep. The photos are there. Moody beauty.

      Delete
  5. Oh! I love this post, Pauline. I've big smile across my face. I'm not laughing at you. I can imagine the state you were in (and I don't mean Queensland!) boarding the wrong flight etc. Wow! All's well that ends well. :)

    You were staying at my old stomping ground, Noosa! I still love Noosa...it will always have a special place in my heart. I had a greengrocery-health food shop in Hastings Street in the 80s, before I headed off to Hinchinbrook Island. Weekends during my teenage years were spent, with like-minded girlfriends at Noosa. And my brother, Graham, back then in the early 60s was a Noosa Surf Lifesaver.

    Great post, Pauline. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to give others a laugh at my expense. Got to see the funny side, huh? Yes, I still love Noosa, too. It has changed so much since our hayday but retains its character and charm.

      Delete
  6. They don’t make it easy do they? Yikes on boarding the wrong plane, though I have heard that happening before. I wouldn’t have been very happy either. Easy to happen in such a situation for all of us. Thankfully you got your cabin bag back at least and sounds like the captain and the blonde lady were champs, plus the ground crew, along with your sympathetic fellow passengers. Glad the rest of your holiday with your family was an excellent one. An enjoyable read with a few good tips for when we travel. I will be taking note. Thanks Pauline :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Denise. I think the number one travel trip is pay attention. I think I fly so often on regional flights I'd become complacent. Got my comeuppance as my mother would have said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, reporting them for such wonderful service! If we take time to compliment as well as compain, people get encouraged and that's a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, messymimi. I figure if I can complain about poor service, it's only fair to compliment on good service. And those who provide excellent service should be told that it is appreciated.

      Delete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!