Monday 24 April 2017

Joseph

"Joseph" has always been one of my favourite musicals and after seeing it with a 'contemporary twist', in Auckland yesterday, it continues to be so.  I thought perhaps it might be a little too modern for me but not at all.  The producers fiddled with the music a little, claiming to be parodying various musical styles but the story and the music was basically unchanged.  The energy, the wit, the colour was still all there.  And I loved it!  

I thought it was the perfect birthday gift from my children.  And thanks to my friend, Chris for driving me to and from Auckland and for her company for the day.

We arrived in Auckland in time for a visit to Smith & Caughey, a very nice old style  department school, although there is nothing old fashioned about it.  One of my daughters can expect a birthday gift purchased there.    We enjoyed our lunch in their cafe, too.  The majority of tables were taken by elegantly dressed older ladies who I suspect were also on an outing for the Joseph matinee.  At the show itself there were quite a number of families and our show experience was enhanced by sharing the pleasure of a little 3-4 year old girl sitting in front of us.   Years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead at a matinee with all the old ladies and little children.  Now it feels comfortable.  How times change!

 The rather lovely Civic Theatre in Auckland

 The lights above us inside the theatre

 Statue of Lord Auckland in the square.  He was the first lord of the Admiralty in 1834, then served as Governor General of India from1835 to 1842.  This statue stood in Calcutta until 1968 when it was presented to the city of Auckland.  Rather grand, isn't he?

Auckland town hall clock tower slowly being overtaken by its neighbours.  Unfortunately I'm not talking about the trees.

And then a pretty sunset to finish a lovely day.

13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing it here in Christchurch next month - I love the show - but i'm doing a night one :)
    Yes the neighbours are crowding the old town hall - how things change. At least Smith and caughey is still there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see your comment. You haven't posted in such a long time! Good to know you are getting out and about in Chch. At night, too, no less! :) I hope you enjoy the show as much as I did. I'd be interested in hearing your response to the Elvis segment. That bit was my only criticism.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Rose. Joseph is an old favourite of mine.

      Delete
  3. Wow! How amazing that "Joseph" is still being produced! That certainly is a flash from the past! That's just great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cast were South Africans, Lee. Although the production company is in England, Australia and NZ.

      Delete
  4. It's considered progress by many, but i don't like the way the neighbors take over. It's been a long, long time since i've heard about "Joseph".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a real blast from the past, Messymimi. Lots of old favourites!

      Delete
  5. oh the civic theatre, how that brings back memories - love that place, use to go there with my nana in the 70s. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely old theatre, isn't it, Amy? I can imagine how a child would love it.

      Delete
  6. I don't know the play, but I am sure that I should. I do love getting out to the theater and do not do it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a grand reason to get to the big city! It's always nice to take in all the sights you can while you're there! Your photos are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a show I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!