Saturday 5 December 2009

The fourth of December goes down in history



Anyone who has been the victim of a Surprise Party knows that feeling when you look around and realize something is going on that wasn't expected.

My friend Sheryle experience that feeling yesterday when she walked into a restaurant to have lunch with a young friend and as she idly looked around, was met with the shouts (maybe that should be shrieks, it was an all girl affair) of her family and friends informing her it was all about Her.

Sheryle's birthday is on Christmas Day and her two daughters decided Mum misses out because of that, this year she will have a party, just for her.


Oh darn, you can't see the tears on her cheeks when she realized her three sisters were there.

I'm sure the fourth of December has something to do with Thomas Edison and the radio....

Mind you, my memory is far from reliable. Not that I was around back then but that date and Thomas Edison is embedded in my memory for some reason.

And it was the date of the last broadcast of Dad and Dave in Australia in 1960. So how come I can remember it? No idea. Only Australians of around my age or older will have the faintest idea what I'm talking about.

But from henceforth it will be the day we surprised Sheryle!

She came up to my daughter-in-law Heather and me and said, "What are you two doing here?"

I asked, "Have you finished crying yet".

To which she answered, "No, I don't think I have." and more tears streamed down her cheeks.

I will do a post about Sheryle soon, I think. She is a very special lady.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I've always felt sorry for folk born around Christmas; this was a lovely solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing to do, she must have been totally over the moon!

    I also have a December birthday although not on Christmas day and sometimes it does get over shadowed so what a very special thing to do for her x

    ReplyDelete
  3. She seems to be enjoying the party. Not so sure I would, surprise or shock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunds like she was truly surprised. How fun, gotta love the all girl party..we girls always know how to have fun and make each other feel special.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!