Wednesday 1 April 2020

Jami's Project - Day 8

This is my daily entry in Jami's Project whereby she wants to create a collection of journal entries from people of different ages, from different countries and different parts of this country, during this 30 day Coronavirus period. She wants to highlight how "in this together" we all are, regardless of government policies, and the influence it will have on our wellbeing and to evaluate what individuals do to cope.  She has participants from Alaska, Canary Island, France, Canada and Norway.

Crikey, Jami, I don't know if I can keep this up.  Somehow, I'm going to have to get more organised.  With all the time in the world on my hands, it takes me all my time to do practically nothing.  

I've had another little project these past few days which has kept me distracted.  We are wanting to update the Lions Lodge website and are hoping to find a few people with specific skills who are in lockdown and who might appreciate having something creative to do.  I've been doing a bit of work on that project.  It will probably take a bit more time over the coming weeks.   

All's good here today.  I'm feeling quite upbeat for some unknown reason.  I hope it lasts when I go to town to visit the doctor tomorrow - my first venture out into the real world in a few weeks.

I enjoyed a little time outside with my camera yesterday afternoon.  I think it did me so much good to walk slowly and look carefully at what is around me.  I stop at the letterbox nearly every day but rarely take a look around.   I should have included the letter box in the shot below but wasn't thinking about that.  I was looking at the light on the top of the poplars and the paddock in the background where the maize has just been harvested.  


On the way back up to the house I paused to admire the Resurrection Lillies which I have always known as Easter Lillies.  The resurrection name must surely come from its association with Easter but what about the Northern Hemisphere where their time to bloom wouldn't be anywhere near the time of the resurrection?  They just grow wild here, in paddocks or beside roads.  Don't think I've ever seen them in a garden.  I believe they are used in Maori medicine and have symbolic importance in traditional Maori culture.


The lillies above are growing in amongst rambling wild roses and, below, down a bank with a wild grape vine.


I thought I saw a wasp disappear into this old tree trunk.  I took the photo so I could come home, enlarge it and look carefully for any sign of the little blighter.  (That's something else to appreciate about modern technology.)  No sign of a wasp but I'll be keeping an eye out.  Wasps are a real pest which harm our native birds and insects.  They are terrible problem in the bush and spoil school camps in the bush for children.



As well as the frijoa tree having loads of fruit, the persimmon tree does also.   Last year I gave loads away but can't do that this year.  Any suggestions on how to preserve them?  I've never tried.  Perhaps they would make nice chutney?


I got another couple of photos I liked, too.  When I got back to the house I was in a wander aimlessly sort of mood and then the cows in a back paddock caught my eye through the bamboo at the back of the house.  I carefully went where I don't usually venture in case I trip or fall and found a spot where I could get a better look through the trees.  The poplars are lovely at this time of year and that time of day.


My daughter was enjoying a bike ride around the farm while I was walking so I waited outside for her to return.  She finally appeared pushing her bike up the hill after the chain fell off. 


And, finally, a portrait of Korbi, Jami's cat which has been living with me for a while.   He's a happy country cat now but, oh boy, did he ever have a traumatic time making the transition from city cat.


The Daily Count
708 total cases, 11 in Northland
61 new cases

14 in hospital
82 recovered
1 death

5 comments:

  1. Fotoğraflar çok güzel. İnşallah her şey daha da güzel olur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pauline,

    What a great idea, just caught up on your posts. So blooming green as well!!!
    Our Easter lilies have flowered a while back after the rain. There are still a few floppy blooms. I brought some inside, the perfume is a bit overpowering but thought them such beautiful flowers that they deserve to be on the kitchen bench.
    Take care.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful scenery, and those lilies are magnificent. As for the fruit, perhaps you could offer to let friends come, one family at a time, to pick some to take home. As long as they are not around each other, and they wash it well at home (which they are likely to do anyway), it should be okay for them to do that. Your call, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely flowers. Here in Sweden, our "Easter Lilies" (påskliljor) = yellow daffodils.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!