Tuesday 31 March 2020

Jami's Project - Day 7

This is my daily entry in Jami's Project whereby she wants to create a collection of journal entries from people of different ages, from different countries and different parts of this country, during this 30 day Coronavirus period. She wants to highlight how "in this together" we all are, regardless of government policies, and the influence it will have on our wellbeing and to evaluate what individuals do to cope.  She has participants from Alaska, Canary Island, France, Canada and Norway.
We managed to sort ourselves out last night for our on-line House Party birthday get together.  The younger and more tech savvy members of the family finally got us all connected.  Except for Bernie in Brazil, he was sleeping, as you do in the middle of the night.  House Party was OK but not great, Leone is going to party test drive Zoom on Saturday night so we'll see if that is better. 
Today the weather has been glorious.  This morning there wasn't a cloud in the sky although there are a few clouds rolling in now.  I do feel sympathy for those who are locked in where they can't see the sky.  I am so fortunate with the views I have from here on the hill.

A warm summer like we've just had usually means a good crop of feijoas, this year is no exception.  Although, on my tree, a lot seem to be dropping before they are ripe which isn't usual.  I put that down to the summer drought.  The grass under the tree is littered with the fruit.  I think I'll give them one more day before starting the daily harvest.  I don't like the taste of them but my grand-daughters simply love them.  They don't bother cutting them in two and eating the flesh with a spoon like most people do, just bite into them and suck out the flesh.  It's a shame they can't come and pick them up.   I'll stew them and give them a treat when all this is over.



The Daily Count
647 total cases, 9 in Northland 
58 new cases

14 in hospital
74 recovered
1 death

8 comments:

  1. Happy you got it going, pity it's not really doing the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always the possibility that problem could have been operator error, Adrian. Wouldn't be the first time. The pair that didn't have any problem both work on computers all day and one works on-line from home for an offshore international company so is quite used to sorting any issues. It's not quite so easy for farmers. Anyway, it was lovely to see them.

      Delete
  2. The feijoas here are really small and most have dropped off the tree. A good idea to stew them for your grand daughters. I have not heard about the House Party app but might see how it works although I have used Skype and that seems ok for me. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, I can't see why we shouldn't stick with what we know but the younger ones always want to try the latest.

      Delete
  3. It took us 45 minutes to get into a Zoom meeting last night, like all the other platforms, i think they are overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people who are trying to use them right now.

    Lovely skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are probably right, messymimi. There must be an unprecedented demand on these apps at this time. I'm just grateful we have this technology that connects us.

      Delete
  4. I really couldn't bring myself to eat feijoas. Like you The Family orchard had a lot of feijoa trees. I felt quite guilty not liking them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that, Graham. I was the same when I first came to NZ and rellies were shocked that I didn't like them like they all did. Although I liked the feijoa and apple crumble I used to make for the kids when they were young. Will put apples on the shopping list.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!