Thursday 2 January 2020

The mountain and the creek

After a couple of easy days with very little exercise, my family were ready for some outdoor pursuits.  Justine shared one of her favourite walks with us, the Maude Track to Mangakotukutuku Falls.  One of the things I appreciate about my family is they encourage me to do what I can but are not disappointed when I can't keep up, one of them always drops back from the leading group to keep me company.

From the parking area at the end of the road we crossed open farmland with magnificent views back to the coast.  I'd had enough by the time we reached the bushline but they found me a lovely shady place to sit under a tree while they carried on.  I didn't have my camera but took a few shots with my phone.


They weren't quite so perky when they returned.

It's a bit embarrassing to admit I couldn't keep up with a three year old.  Little Lexis tramped along with great determination, walked the whole way to the waterfall and back, 5.6kms.  


I was really keen to get down to the creek that forms the boundary of my daughter's property.  If you've been following me for a while you will know how I love a rocky creek.  I don't know which I love most - the sound of water tumbling over rocks or the sight of it.   I think I will have to settle for the sound because try as I might I just couldn't get right down to the water.  My kids and grandkids all helped me but I would have distressed them if I'd crept any closer.  I don't think they relished the idea of trying to get me back up that bank if I fell.



The little one was not impressed with being left with her mother and grandmother to keep me company.  Mind you, she managed to fall over in the creek and was happy after that, despite the fact she was shivering with cold.  That water comes from melting snow on the mountain.  

My son-in-law has promised to cut steps into the bank to make the creek more accessible.  I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

  1. I know the worn out legs feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the hips that get me mainly, Adrian. Notice I say mainly because other random bits make themselves felt from time to time.

      Delete
  2. We tend to have less flexibility and energy as we age. At least the normal ones of us do. There are a few special sports types that go on forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should take comfort in being 'normal' although I honestly thought I'd be one of those that went on forever.

      Delete
  3. I find that true of me and mourn the years when I could do more as well as cherish I ver had them. I think it's smart to know our limits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt the hard way to know my limits when I had a bad fall a couple of years ago. Now I think it is the lack of confidence that is the worst.

      Delete
  4. That all looks so delightfully 'you' country. I know the legs feeling. My new knee is brilliant and gives me no trouble and lots of mobility but I've no longer got the confidence and agility to do a lot of scrambling over rocks and jumping from one rock to another is no long an option. Age cometh not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham, I've now decided scrambling and jumping are the joyful acts of the young and I delight in watching the next generations enjoying doing that. As long as I can get close enough to watch I'll be content.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look like a wonderful place for hiking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!