Thursday 23 January 2020

Going north and coming home



This sign amused my sisters, especially the pair of old boots left under it.  We'd stopped at the Mungamuka Gorge Scenic Reserve where I'm pretty sure there was once a lookout but the bush had grown and all we could see was bush all around us - and a truck stopped to assist broken down foreign tourists.  

I'd chosen to drive north to Kaitaia via the Mungamukas because it's a good road, never has much traffic and is a delight to drive if you enjoy driving.  It's said by motoring buffs to be the fourth best road in NZ to drive.  It could well have been designed by a motorbike rider.  It twists and turns so effortlessly.

We'd stopped earlier at the Twin Bridges where two rivers meet.  I knew my sisters would enjoy a little walk along its banks - we grew up with a creek as our holiday playground.


We took the long way home on the return journey, visiting the east coast beaches.

GB, this is for you.  Graham may remember that when I took him to Russell I missed the turnoff to the lookout on the hill overlooking Russell.  I made extra sure I was going slow enough to make the turn this time.  
One of my favourite spots - Te Ngaere Bay

My sisters have gone back to Brisbane and the heat now.  The house seems strangely quiet without them. They enjoyed the cooler climate.

4 comments:

  1. A funny sign, and like your series of landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unfortunately, that sign was needed. We picked up some rubbish left by others.

      Delete
  2. You may have intended those pics for a specific person, but i promise i enjoyed them immensely.

    That sign says exactly what i've thought for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi messymimi, One of my sisters is a schoolteacher and said she had sometimes wished she had a sign like it, especially the Mummy still cleans up after me part.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!