Monday 30 December 2019

Christmas Reflections

Late afternoon on Christmas Day my two daughters, son-in-law and grandson and I went for a nice easy stroll around Lake Mangamahoe, which is a short drive from my younger daughter's new home. 



The path my daughter chose was an easy walk that we could all enjoy as far as the second swing bridge, then the younger and fitter carried on to a lookout leaving me to wander along the lakeside with my camera.  


The water at this end of the lake is shallow and still, very overgrown, with lovely reflections.




This part of the lake is home to many geese.  They are quite tame but always keep a safe distance between themselves and visitors.  I thought I might be able to get closer when I was on my own but they were still wary.


The only one I could get close to was this one who was injured.  But then I worried about stressing it so backed off and watched it from a distance.  Once it hobbled to the water it was fine and paddled out to join its mates on the water.


A bit closer to the carpark were the ducks.


The rest of the family were due to arrive the next day for belated Christmas celebrations.

13 comments:

  1. That is a pretty walk, and lovely lake. It's healthy for the birds to stay a bit wary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a lovely place to walk. I agree about the birds, too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite places in Taranaki, Di.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place for a walk. It looks so warm and inviting in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My photos don't do it justice, I'm afraid. I usually miss the best shots because I'm busy just looking.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Busy with wildlife, not people, which is how I like it, Adrain.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a lovely way to round off Christmas Day afternoon. Very relaxing.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect finish to a very pleasant day.

      Delete
  6. That reminded me of the many occasions you (and me when I was with you) tried to get pictures of the wild turkeys. I was always amazed that the second the car stopped they scarpered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still try for those photos, Graham. I've had limited success with the turkeys. But remember those peacocks? They are still illusive.

      Delete
  7. It looks like it was a lovely way to spend Christmas afternoon.

    My very best wishes to you and your loved ones for 2020 and beyond, Pauline. Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!