Friday 15 November 2019

Pukeiti

Pukeiti Gardens are listed as one of Taranaki's top 20 visitor attractions.  And, in all my trips to Taranaki, I had not been there.  I didn't know what I was missing and will definitely return again. It's owned and maintained by the Regional Council and hosts one of the world's biggest and most diverse collection of rhododendrons.  But its the backdrop of lush native rainforest that really sets them off.  The property covers 360 hectres (890 acres), including 26 hectares (65 acres) of garden with a total of 21 km (13 miles) of walkways.  Next time I visit it will be during the hours the mobility vehicle operates.  

Most paths are wide enough to accommodate the mobility vehicle

There are a number of walks to choose from ranging from 35 minutes to two hours.  My daughter and I did the Rhododendron Stroll with a little detour into the Valley of the Giants Walk.






I loved the little treehouses scattered around the grounds.  They are part of the Kids Treehouse Trail which is a free self-guided activity through the gardens using a satchel which can be collected from outside the Cafe.  The satchel holds cards which guide youngsters through the garden to each treehouse with hidden clues, facts and questions.  I suspect a clue to this treehouse might have something to do with the giant weta sculpture clinging to its side.
.
 
 Manicured lawns leading back to the visitors' centre and cafe, with the ranges of Mt Taranaki in the background.

 (I want to see the Giant Rata tree next time.)

13 comments:

  1. Lovely gardens. Would love to be able to walk around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taranaki has some marvellous gardens. There are 40 in the Garden Festival and all are lovely in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty garden, and big enough to take mobility vehicle, good for me. Those that don't like giant sculture, scary time. Excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely. We all should have such a respite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really lovely place to walk/run/stroll or ride. Provided of course one can stop and appreciate the flowers and views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to wander.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all so beautiful, i am sure it would take longer than the festival lasts to really enjoy it all thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is a huge garden. Those walks sound good. Where is Taranaki? Must check on Google Maps. The lady who made the Melbourne Cup hats did make some for people with special requests and mine was one. I asked for red and black. Others were just her imaginative creations which people could choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di, Taranaki is the sticky outey bit on the west coast of the North Island.

      Delete
    2. Yes I checked on google maps.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love gardens and this one is wonderful! Great photos - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!