Sunday 20 August 2017

A magic day

Mid afternoon yesterday I thought the day couldn't get any better. 

There was a heavy fog this morning and it was still lifting from the mountain around 10 am when I went to open the gate to the Lodge.  I'd arranged to meet visitors at the gate and had taken a book to read while I waited for them.  But I was happy to just watch the mist as it swirled around the hills.  


The two school teachers who I was showing around the lodge couldn't have picked a better morning.  The bush looked all sparkly and clean, noise seemed to carry more clearly than usual.  Either that or there were more birds at play.  Walking through the bush seemed like the best possible thing to be doing on a Friday morning.   


I was in the most mellow of moods.  Just loving my world and my life.  I even had poetic thoughts imagining a gentle hand at work when these softly moulded hills were created. 


It was easy to remember that spring is nearly here.  Soon the poplars will be turning green but this is the time of year when I like them most.  The lovely silver colour in this line of trees was highlighted by the dark clouds gathering behind them.


In the mellow-ness of my mood everything looked beautiful.  I stopped the car to admire these cattle enjoying the sun as if they knew it wasn't going to last for long.


Only a few miles closer to home the dark clouds were already starting to drop their load over the mountain.  That's my road home running along the bottom of the photo.


By the time I reached home it was bucketing down and I had to wait in the car for a while before making a dash for the front door.  

The weather cleared to produce an "Ahh, what a lovely day" sort of evening.   But, the day was not yet over.  Later that night while I was talking to my daughter on the phone I was first of all distracted by hearing cattle bellowing.  I wonder if they could sense what was to come because shortly after, it was the sound of thunder.  As it got louder she could hear it over the phone.  Our chat was ended when the power went out.   

When I was a child in Australia my grandmother taught us to appreciate a good storm.   At the first sign of an approaching storm she would gather us on the verandah, pillows and blankets on the floor, kerosene lamps at the ready in case the power went out and join us in oooos and aaaas as the thunder crashed and lightning flashed.  Then after the storm we would watch as our grandfather saddled up the horse and rode off to check that the lightning had not started any grass fires in the hills.  My grandmother always comes to sit on my shoulder when there is a storm and I'm ashamed to confess that she would have been rather taken aback at what escaped my lips as I stood in the open doorway and the thunder clapped directly overhead as the lightning blinded me it was so close.  I heard a zzzt as something nearby took a hit.  To my surprise all my electrics are working today.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, spring is definitely in the air, isn't it? I too love a good thunderstorm but have nowhere to sit and enjoy it apart from inside the house. We have actually hit double figures this past week, so good :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's that time of year when you wonder what tomorrow will bring, isn't it. Glad it's warming up down there. We rarely hit single figures so have nothing to complain about really.

      Delete
  2. This does look inviting. I love watching a storm roll in. I hope that isn't the lodge in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'd say that's a pretty good little shed and stock-yards as those things go. Adrian. Maybe I'll post some photos of the lodge soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do so love a good storm. And these photos...they are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a nice quiet morning. Been similar here too, the frostiness of winter seems to have left and it feels a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I love a good thunderstorm too so long as there are no hurricanes which now scare the living daylights out of me. The most spectacular storm I ever experienced was in Tuscany. After a period of quite when we thought the storm was over we had a clap of thunder overhead as lightening struck a pole right outside the glass doors to the room we were in. The noise, sizzle and smell of burning was incredible - and very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous area! I agree, the silver of those poplars really makes them stand out. My Mum helped me appreciate a good storm but we don't get many of them here and I kind of miss that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!