Thursday 7 April 2016

Squeeze in a fence

My computer came home from the hospital for techy things today and I pick up my five year old grandson tomorrow for a week's stay here on the farm, so just have time to squeeze in a fence for Good Fences.

Last week I noticed a change to the entry to the Tangihua Forest which is just down the road.  A boot cleaning station to help prevent Kauri Dieback has been installed.  As far as I know the horrid disease has not entered our forest and I pray this preventative action will keep it out.


With Kauri Dieback microscopic spores in the soil infect kauri roots and damage the tissues that carry nutrients within the tree. Infected trees show a range of symptoms including yellowing of foliage, loss of leaves, canopy thinning, dead branches and lesions that bleed resin at the base of the trunk extending to the major roots and sometimes girdling the trunk as a “collar rot”. Some infected trees can show canopy dieback and even be killed without any bleeding resin on the trunks. I've seen the results of it in the Waipoua Forest and it made me so sad to see a once magnificent tree still standing but quite dead looking.

10 comments:

  1. oh I hope it doesn't come into NZ, wonder what it looks like though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all of us traveling all over it's hard to keep a handle on these terrible diseases and fungi. I hope your area is able to keep it at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we always have some kind of disease that we spread or that an introduced bug spreads or that climate change allows space for. I wonder if we really can control any of this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is a different use of a fence! You learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the measures are successful. Many of the diseases affecting trees in the UK have been airborne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad to need that kind of fence, but i do hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lets hope this does prevent this awful disease entering the forest. Hope you have a fun time with your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope these measures are successful in saving your trees. Would seem a simple thing to clean boots before walking in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how interesting! i hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a sad story. I hope everyone uses the cleaning station. Enjoy your Grandson. It will be tiring.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!