Wednesday 29 July 2015

New visitors

I've never seen a flock of quail so close to the house before!  They are a familiar sight taking dust baths on the farm tracks, but right outside the house.  I got a few photos through the window as they scurried from under the karaka tree to under the badly frost bitten hydrangeas.  They were almost exactly the same colour as the dead hydrangeas.

Although not the native quail they have been here for a long time since they were introduced in the 1860s but only flourished in the northern parts of the North Island.   

These would be a family, I think. They form breeding pairs in spring which isn't all that far away so hopefully they will nest nearby and become regular visitors.

And that would make me very happy.  I think they are delightful.  And I like the fluttering, whirring noise made by their wings during take-off into flight when disturbed.  A sound I heard as I tried to inch upon the door for a better shot. 

8 comments:

  1. I'd swap these for the blasted pheasants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy visits from birds. YOur quail would be exotic here. They are such delightful little balls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love birds in the yard!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen quail once down here, up in a tree in the camping ground we were at. Very difficult to get a good shot as you say, without spooking them.
    We have one photo but anyone else looking at it wouldn't know it was a quail, we know because we know :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only quail i've ever seen are the domesticated ones raised by farmers. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!!! I hope they stay nearby till you can get more pics of them. They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quail are so cute and hard to capture because they startle so easily. Nice shots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be great if they stayed closeby for some great photos!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!