Tuesday 7 October 2014

up the creek

To finish this road trip I drove up through Laidley along the road that follows the creek to its source in the mountains behind Townson.  I posted photos of the homes of both sets of grandparents and my great-grandparents in this little valley a few weeks ago as soon as I returned home.  I have just a few more I'd like to share.

More of those irrigation pipes but this time against the familiar backdrop of the hillsides of the valley that leads to where my childhood memories lay. 
 

More modern irrigation methods:


The dry grassy paddocks contrasting with the fields that have been irrigated.


I love this place in all seasons, even when it is desperately dry.  The fertile flats, the backdrop of the mountains, the Little Liverpool Range (east) and the Mistake Mountains (west). And Mt Castle standing there like a fortress, a sure sign that I am nearing my destination. 
Mount Mistake is a 1,698 ft / 518 m mountain peak near Gatton, Queensland - See more at: http://peakery.com/mount-mistake-australia-2/#sthash.mv2m3mmB.dpuf
Mount Mistake is a 1,698 ft / 518 m mountain peak near Gatton, Queensland - See more at: http://peakery.com/mount-mistake-australia-2/#sthash.mv2m3mmB.dpuf
Mount Mistake is a 1,698 ft / 518 m mountain peak near Gatton, Queensland - See more at: http://peakery.com/mount-mistake-australia-2/#sthash.mv2m3mmB.dpuf
Mount Mistake is a 1,698 ft / 518 m mountain peak near Gatton, Queensland, A - See more at: http://peakery.com/mount-mistake-australia-2/#sthash.mv2m3mmB.dpuf
Mount Mistake is a 1,698 ft / 518 m mountain peak near Gatton, Queensland, A - See more at: http://peakery.com/mount-mistake-australia-2/#sthash.mv2m3mmB.dpuf


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful images Pauline!
    This is an area that I am all to familiar with. It's lovely reading of your travels to your "home". The landscapes out that way are beautiful no matter the season. I may need your assistance with naming mountains when I post some shots of that area. It's often hard to find information on the names of the smaller, less frequented mountains in SE Qld.
    I feel the same when I travel back to the Mornington Peninsula... so many wonderful childhood memories! I'm looking forward to going home in Dec/Jan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Pauline. Hubs and I were saying only this evening that we can certainly understand why so many movies are made in New Zealand, it is fantastic scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does have a stark beauty but New Zealand looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is (as we've said before) something so very comforting about being able to define one's physical position in relation to mountains. I love the wide open spaces you are showing of Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wast landscapes are really dreamlike. Would love to visit those corners of the world.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wide open pastureland. So beautiful and so freeing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!