Friday 16 May 2014

FSO - Bridges

I remember having bridges as a topic twice before on FSO.  I've checked out my posts for those two to make sure I don't repeat myself.  It seems my thinking has changed a bit over the years.  When thinking of bridges now I no longer think of the functional, concrete spans across the creek as it twists and turns along our road from town. But there's one little bridge I see every time I travel the road to town that I must repeat.  I fear it will disappear completely with the next flood.


In town an old bridge has a new life as a footbridge and, on most Saturdays, an Artisan's Market.  I went for a little walk yesterday to get a few shots of it. 


I'm sure there's a nautical term for those little foot bridges jutting out from the walkway in the Town Basin. 
 

 Some are fancier than others:


Walking away from the old bridge along the river bank, a new structure is springing up between the Town Basin and Te Matau ā Pohe,  the new bridge with the fish hook shaped lifting mechanism I featured two weeks ago.  This is the new cycle/footbridge which will be part of a loop walkway from the Hihiaua Peninsula to connect the peninsula to Te Matau ā Pohe.  There will be a pivoting section attached to the end of the bridge that extends from the far side (from where I'm standing), to allow boats to pass up and down the Waiarohia Stream.  It looks as if it will curve as it crosses the stream.  We won't have to wait long to see what it looks like, it's expected to be completed in June.
 

The little guy in this photo will be staying with me in June.  I wonder if it will be opened in time for us to explore the new walkway.


I discovered, when I was trying to find out more about the bridge under construction that there is a website dedicated to the bridges of Whangarei, their construction and maintenance.  So next time bridges comes up as a topic, I will know where to find some more.

I look forward to seeing bridges from all over at Friday My Town Shoot Out blog.  Everyone has a bridge of some description in their town, why not join us and show us yours?

11 comments:

  1. Now that's a fine way to make use of an old bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super selection, Pauline, but the last one has to be my favourite with the black and white of the first one a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the fish hook bridge finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post Pauline and a wonderful selection of bridges. Engineering feats and simple structures.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures from very pleasing angles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Pauline,
    What a lovely post! I have enjoyed your bridges. I hope next rain will not damage that old bridge! The last one put a smile on my face!
    Thank you for letting me join you!
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, the last photo is sooo sweet. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are certainly many bridges around here - over rivers and streams and spanning channels in the harbours. I like a footbridge - like to stop and think at the halfway mark. There's just something special about doing that.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a heckuva market venue. Most of ours seem to be held in parking lots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the last shot of the Fish Hook bridge you post awhile back that it was great to see it in the landscape. Great post. I am late getting around so enjoyed your newer one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy seeing the new bridges and being reminded of some I know reasonably well now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!