Sunday 15 January 2012

Logic saves the day


"Pride cometh before the fall" I muttered to myself as my big, clumsy fingers struggled to fashion doll clothes.

Why did I agree before I knew the size of the doll?  Because Georgia appealed to my pride.  "Niamh has a doll but doesn't have any other clothes for it.  They know we make things, so can we make the doll some clothes?"  And what does muggins say but yeah, sure, but we'll have to have the doll to get the size right. 

It never entered my mind that the doll might be a skinny little Frankenstein's sister. 


And where is the other half of the royal "we" I wonder?

It was a struggle to get the tights off her; who makes these clothes?  They are quite well made and finished, would put the tights I made to shame.  I can picture little fairies with tiny fingers and tiny sewing machines doing it, but not your average adult. 


I got the vest off but darned if I know how the dress is meant to come off.  Guess that will be a job for one of the children.  Actually, I hope they don't succeed because I really don't think I could make another anything like it. 

I took the easy way out and made her a cape. 


 For some light relief, and to keep myself up there with the clever people in Georgia's estimation, I mended her much loved cuddly puppy.  He's a bit like me, has had the stuffing knocked out of him.


 Half an hour later and I'm feeling better about being guilty of one of the Seven Deadly Sins - and on a Sunday, too!

I found this explanation of "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" as in the King James version of the Holy Bible.

It is interesting that a proverbs quotation has turned into what it has, and it has because of popular interpretations of what is meant by "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." When read as it is written, this is hardly saying "Pride comes before the fall." When anyone of us are facing certain destruction, the first thing to go is pride. This is as it should be since there is nothing to be proud of when facing destruction. That a "haughty spirit" comes before a fall is also self evident. Weaker spirits rarely rise high enough to risk falling. Pride has been unfairly attacked as an unseemly character trait. People suggest that we should forget pride and seek out humility. If you are living life, I assure you, humility will seek you out and there need be no rush to meet it. Humility will find you with or without your guidance. Pride, on the other hand is not so easily found. Pride is recognition of accomplishment.
 
Love that logic.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the story I've told before in Blogland of my Prep School Head Mistress who schooled us (at age 6) in the 7 deadly sins. When she told us in the next lesson that we should have pride in our work I was puzzled. Wasn't pride a sin. I was berated for my insolence. Grown-ups were strange creatures, especially teacher grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that will teach you to say ok before you look. the cape is pretty, and now i have this pic in my head of tiny fairies with tiny sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pauline,

    Gosh you were brave to tackle dolls clothes. The cape is fantastic,what a great idea. Maybe a skirt to go over the existing tights.
    Happy Monday.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cape you made and very logical too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!