Monday 8 August 2011

Rust, rusty, rustic


For this week’s topic of rust, rusty, rustic we have been encouraged to think out of the box.  Well, to me, rust is rust.

container

Those who think out of the box find creative use for rusty old things:

cylinder gate wheel1

I pick up old bits and pieces I find around the farm and just throw them in the garden:

tractor bit

weight

I’d love to cart this home but it is too big for my garden, so it sits in a paddock:

old machinery Others release their sense of humour to create something rustic:tapora

I’m spoilt with the number of rustic old sheds I see around the countryside.  The first one is here on the farm.

old hay feeder This one I pass daily.  I think the trees have enveloped more of it since I last posted it.

shedinbush This one I pass every time I go to see my daughters:wellsford

And this one sits on prime land at Mangawhai.  I wonder how long it will be before progress overtakes it:

mgwi shed

 

of, relating to, or suitable for the country : rural <rustic rolling farmland>

2

a : made of the rough limbs of trees <rustic furniture> b : finished by rusticating <a rustic joint in masonry>

: appropriate to the country (as in plainness or sturdiness) <heavy rustic boots>

—Middle English rustik, from Latin rusticus, from rus open land

First Known Use: 15th century

 

 rough-hewn,

of, relating to, associated with, or typical of open areas with few buildings or people <a rustic area that has a refreshing lack of billboards and shopping malls>

Synonyms bucolic, country, pastoral, rustic (also rustical)

Related Words backwoods, backwoodsy, countrified (also countryfied), provincial; agrarian, agricultural; nonurban, semirural

9 comments:

  1. I have a fondness for old rusty bits of machinery too - old timber barns with tin roofs are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty iron and old barns......a favourite of mine but getting harder to find here.......I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline, you sure are getting this theme posted early. I must say I like the wood carvings. They made me smile. I like rusty old things so all of your images are very pleasing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pauline,

    Give me a rusty old character filled shed any day over a modern colourbond one. Some sheds do have the best spots don't they.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing quite like finding a bit of rusty old machinery on a farm. Especially for us urbanites who then spend hours wondering what purpose it once served.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should wander over to the farmyard but I'd need a new memory card to capture all the rust! Your photos are always great. And regarding your potholes...it makes for slow driving doesn't it - I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most everyone has a fascination for old rusty things. For me it is the stores they could tell if only they could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rusty old items have to be some of the most photogenic artefacts around. I love your choices. I particularly like the 'face' although I usually just see the beauty in the old buildings because I so admire all that was done with wrinkly tin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful post Pauline! I love the photos you take around your property! I too have a fondness for rusty old shed, and I love that tree art - soooo funny!!!
    Hugs to you!
    jen xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!