Monday 8 November 2010

One of top three

On Friday I posted a photo of Ngunguru, which is about 30 minutes on the other side of Whangarei from where I live.  I have that photo on my desktop at work as it calms me when I get a bit stressed.

Today I learned that the Tutukaka Coast is one of the top three coastlines in the world, according to the prestigious National Georgraphic Traveller.   Ngunguru is on the Tutukaka Coast, the settlement before you go up over the hill to Tutukaka.  

The coastline was named equal second best with the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales and pipped for the top spot by the remote, austere Avalon coast on Canada's Newfoundland.

To be honest, it’s not my favourite part of the Northland’s coast but who am I to argue with National Geographic?  Maybe it’s not my favourite because I’ve never been satisfied with photos I’ve take there.  

Anyway, I thought I’d share a few with you.  If you heard that report, too, you will be able so say you know a little of what it looks like.  Only a little, mind!

tutukaka
Tutukaka

 Tutukaka

IMG_0135
Tutukaka Marina

ngururu
Ngunguru

your turn now

GB about to climb through the gap that allowed access to lovely hidden bay.  I believe this access is now closed to the public for safety reasons.  I don’t think I’d be up to the climb around the rocky headland to reach this bay now so I’m glad I have these photos as a memory of it.

Wild Cove
the hidden bay


And while I’m bragging about the beautiful place in which I live, did you read or hear that  New Zealand is the third-best country to live in the world, according to the latest United Nations index?  Norway first, Australia second, NZ third!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10685680

2 comments:

  1. Well, from your photos, I'm not surprised at NZ's placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It's a really lovely place but I'm a bit surprised too because I would have thought there are more beautiful parts of the coast here too.

    As for places to live I think I can agree with NZ and Oz but can't comment on Norway. The Outer Hebrides is pretty special too. So how lucky am I?

    It's a shame that they have closed the gap through to the hidden bay although if there were to be a landslip one could come to a very unpleasant end being squashed between the two plates. But earthquakes in that area are rare.

    WV = comback! I shall.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!