Friday 26 November 2010

FSO - Store Fronts/Favourite Shop

My photos for this week's shoot out are not from my town but from Napier where I was visiting last week.  I've visited Napier once before, briefly.  One could easily spend many days happily photographing just the shops and buildings.  It is known as the Art Deco city and has the most comprehensive collection of inner-city art deco buildings in the world. I can believe that!  It is larger than Whangarei, my nearest major town, and is sooo much more well presented.  I commented to my host that Napier is like a beautiful lady, all decked out in her best finery, make up on, beautifully groomed whereas in the north...(I had to think for a bit)...well, half of us have not even had a haircut.  Napier is tamed and refined.  We here in the north just rely on our natural beauty and don't go to much trouble.  

Our topic this week is a combo -  Main Street/ Store Fronts and Favorite Shop/Store (suggested by NanU)

I saw so many beautiful shops but the one building that really took my fancy was a bank.   

As we approached it GB asked me if I'd like to go in, photographs were permitted.  Am I ever glad I said yes - although I was careful not to be obtrusive and avoided getting staff in any of the photos.  Who would have thought in Napier it's OK to take photos in a bank but in nearby Tarradale you get busted for taking photos in a supermarket!  It's true!

The bank was impressive from the moment you stepped through the doors.

 





It even looked good reflected in the windows of the bank over the road.

I was amused how the reflected view changed when I took a couple of steps in another direction.

I'll never get this posted if I have to choose just a few more favourite shops and buildings, so I've thrown together a selection.  Not sure if I should have included the old prison but I figure perhaps the inmates had been 'shopped'. 

To see lots of store fronts/favourtie shops from around the world, just click here

16 comments:

  1. An intriguing post! That bank certainly has some beautiful architectural work! Who would believe it! And love your collage of facades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My waht a tour. The shots in the bank are superb, not at all easy to expose for. The reflection is my favourite. I have to continually remember to look for them and look behind me. A super post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,

    I started my working life back in the 1960's at this bank - it was then the Bank of New Zealand - before moving out to the "new" Taradale branch in 1968! it was pretty impressive back then as well but when you've been brought up with all this Art Deco stuff around you you think it's normal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the designs on the ceiling of the bank, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite odd, Pauline, to think that I go into that Bank so often and yet I hadn't really taken in all the parts that you have photographed. It's interesting that you chose the Bank as your focal point for the blog post. There are so many impressive buildings I'd have been hard pressed to chose one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They certainly don't design buildings like that one any more. It must be nice to work in a place that has some beautiful features - so many new buildings are ceompletely uninteresting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive. Now if they gave free money as well that would definitely make it my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Pondside...'They don't Build Em' like that anymore.' Beautiful architecture and attention to detail as well as immaculate upkeep! Great Shots of the Bank and I really enjoyed seeing all the other places in your collage. Fantastic ShootOut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Pauline,

    Oh my goodness I loved visiting Napier,I couldn't get over the stunning buildings. One memory of Napier I have is a old lady in a wheelbarrow who obviously had just visited the hardware store and she was walking along the street with a bag of cement in the barrow. Chris and I had a laugh about what she was going to do with that cement. We both hoped her husband was alive. Seriously the buildings and especially the antique/2nd hand stores were the best and most interesting I have ever been in. We spent hours in one shop alone. I love how they dress up for the festival they have each year.

    Have a fantastic weekend,
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you prefer shopping at the bank to get the most value out of your money? ;)
    Interesting to see "another perspective" of Napier, I only recognize a couple of sculptures (the tree and the lady with the dog) from GB's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My long standing dislike of shopping might be overcome when thinking about banks. But even then, I prefer the drive-through. You captured a wide variety of nice perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did the people of Napier talk about their earthquake?

    I like the ceiling with the 8 sided glass. I wonder who the architect was. 8 sided mirror is a Feng Shui thing for the Chinese. It is called the BA QUA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a well chosen subject. I am so glad you went inside too! It is beautifully maintained. How interesting that the town has so many art deco buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a beautiful town with some great architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. now that is a bank I wouldn't mind visiting. awesome collage also!! this is one way to travel and visit the world and not have to pay for a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, what a terrific photo study of that bank. The angles of the beautiful ceiling and windows are great! Good thing there are no rules around here about taking photos; I would be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!