Friday 2 April 2010

Huh? Bokeh?

If ever I figure out how apply bokeh to my photos, I swear I will do it all the time.  However, right now I'm not even too sure if that's how you use the word in a sentence. 

In photography, bokeh is the blur or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image.  I did my very best to learn what the hell it's all about. 

"Bokeh is not how far something is out-of-focus, bokeh is the character of whatever blur is there."  OK, I know that is probably perfect English but it could be double Dutch for all I understand it.

The word "bokeh" comes from the Japanese word "boke" (pronounced bo-keh) which literally means fuzziness or dizziness.

YES!  Dizziness is what happened to me.  

Are you getting the feeling that bokeh has been frustrating for me?  I followed every instruction I could find but just couldn't get the hang of it.  So I'm going to inflict you with the few where I "nearly" got it ....I think. 




But don't think that's the end of it!  I intend to consult an expert and sooner or later I will get it.

To see what it's really all about, visit the rest of the Friday Shoot Out Team here.

19 comments:

  1. I love that last one, simply awesome. To me , the easiest way to do bokeh is to shoot in macro, if you're using the point and shoot camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline, yes you do have a problem. It only works for some subjects, the bee should work and the washing line or whatever it is. The last shot is fine as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the "huh". I saw this word recently and had no idea what it meant. Now I know that I have used it, just not known the correct word for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pauline,

    I was just as cluelesss as you. I am waiting for remarks about mine.

    Happy easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bokeh shots, love the last one too. Sometimes it is hard to get that shot. Happy Easter!

    My Bokeh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the bumble bee shot.... is hard to get clear photo of them because their wings never stop. very good attempt. color is great.
    have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look it up too. Still, you learn something new every day, right!

    I especially liked the dew drops on the lines in the final photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pauline, that bee shot is gorgeous! That would make a great print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the last one is perfectly well done. The blurred background brings out the drops on the wires, and gives them context.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great, I found that it comes sometimes by just practice, and by accident, lol, yes, mine came out okay, but some really good only by circum-chance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done that girl. I thought I'd posted a comment last night. Obviously not. Late night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first step is knowing what it is and being able to identify it. The second is harder and depending on your camera and knowledge of using it, it can be easy or hard to produce. Zooming helps. Love your gung-ho spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pauline, I love your little bumbly-bee - so fuzzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quality of the last blur is beautiful; you really captured the feeling of a post-rain moment there. I am going to practice more with this, too. I would love to be able to control it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bumble too hon..just beautiful shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That final image is close - if you'd focused on the hills in the background, you'd have likely gotten some nice bokeh from the water drops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a great job. I enjoyed the photos. The last one is very nice.

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this has been a great learning theme for us all! love the third shot. beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you got it, definitely on that last shot of the clothes line! Yours reminds me of the clothes line with water drops that I got, Good job! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!