Friday 30 April 2010

FSO Sport

I come from a competitive sporting family but I now have a more modern definition of sport.
 any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion.

Some children find a life long love of a particular sport at a young age.  They try something and think, "This is the greatest.  I want to be the very best at this."  Others try it all, never excelling at any one thing but enjoying the experience, learning new skills.  My grand-daughters fall into that category, although, to be fair, the little water babe who features here today is one hell of a dancer. 

These are the recreational activities I see around me where the younger generation are trying anything and everything that looks like good fun.  Thank you, Barry, the King of Bloggers, for todays theme.  To see his, and other interpretations of the theme, just go here


No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.  
~Winston Churchill

I only get the points because I have team-mates who do the work and put me in the position to get them.
Jonny Wilkinson (who will be well known by the Brits amongst us)

 "Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them.  They are not barriers anymore."
          - Lasse Viren

 “You always say "I'll quit when I start to slide," and then one morning you wake up and realize you've done slid.”
Sugar Ray Robinson
 "Run hard, be strong, think big!"
          - Percy Cerutty
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. 
Loren Eiseley 

Transportation made sublimation literal. It conveyed evil to another world.
Robert Hughes

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong.
Hulk Hogan

15 comments:

  1. What an inspired posting, Pauline. You done good, Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climbing up the sand dune is hard work but sure is fun looking at them sliding down !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great movement shots here. My favorites are the footprints and the sliding on the sand shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are great shots and quite the variety of activities. love the sliding down the sand dune. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sliding down the sand, is it at 90 mile beach? We do the same at Bethalls beach. It is now too hard for me. I do one slide when we go. My husband loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!

    I was never really sporty - the farthest I could get was Badminton, haha! I do admire the kids who, at a very young age, already started their venture with the sport, up until now.

    I love the pictures, all very natural and candid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann, the sand hill climbing and sliding, and the girls running free photo are taken at Pouto, on the north head of the Kaipara Harbour, where a few of my NZ family still live. I lived there when I first came to NZ and love the place, very isolated and deserted. When we go there now my kids enjoy doing with their kids what they used to love doing when they were young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed Churchill's sentiments, but he doesn't look like he put his theory to too much practice. lol

    I loved the shot of everyone sliding down the sand dune. That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job with this shootout! I liked the quotes along with the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the third shot is my fav FSO photo but the little blue jeep photo with its promise of things to come if my heart favorite. She is so enjoying scaring dad (?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sand sliding looks like a blast! But I'll bet it wears out a pair of shorts after a few runs. I have a jeep picture of my son about that age with a large dog rather than a Dad as a passenger, but I don't think I can find it. Of course your driver is on the opposite side! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make the most of those beautiful beaches and dunes; it looks like so much fun. I enjoyed the quotes that you found--they make the perfect captions to your wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whahahahahah I loooved every single one!! I loved the sliding down the dunes..what fun!!
    Wonderful shootout!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots - I enjoyed them all. Sliding down dunes used to be one of my favorite summer treats and I haven't done it for years - time to introduce the grands to this fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/happy-birthday-christina.html

    thanks for the beautiful job!
    please visit me via the link for new meme or awards.
    10Q.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!