Tuesday 13 April 2010

Autumn


Autumn is definitely here.  All too often we seem to go from summer straight to winter but I like this lingering of summer during the day and the hint of winter in the mornings and at night.

I've been in a bit of a reflective mood lately.  The dog caused it.  I set out for a walk on Sunday and he didn't look interested in joining me.  Now that's a first.  Normally he starts barking me encouragement the minute he sees me putting on my walking shoes.  But on Sunday he lay on the lawn and watched me put on my shoes and continued to lay there and watch as I headed off up the farm track.  I'd gone about 30 yards before he hauled himself up and came to join me.  It made me realise how old he is getting.  I think he's a bit older in dog years than I am in human years and the thought that he was in his winter years dawned on me.  Followed closely by the thought that perhaps I'm in my autumn years.  Assuming I'll live to be 100, definitely I am.



Lewey doesn't run out to greet visitors as enthusiastically as he used to.  Like me, he takes a less hurried approach to most things.  But he still likes to join in the laughter of the grand-kids when they arrive with their nonsense, like trying to walk with their gumboots on back to front.


I must thank the friend who reminded me of John Keats’ Ode to Autumn, which I have always loved, especially that first line:

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!

No words can describe better how I feel. 

 The last of the summer dahlias

5 comments:

  1. Last year and the year before were years of reflection for me having been told that I'd reached my winter (due to cancer)! Having been thrown back into Autumn has made me very reflective too. It took me nearly 6 months to come to terms with that. One thing is absolutely sure in my mind. Autumn is a fabulous time of ones life. A time to treasure every single second. Carpe diem: seize the moment.

    I'm looking forward to the weekend. But in the meantime I'll try and make every minute count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pauline, love the dahlia photo,glad you were able to solve the wasp's identity. Maybe he came back in your luggage!!! Border patrol will be after you. Have a great week.
    Bev.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early autumn is really my favourite time of year except there are always mixed feelings involved because of knowing it will be followed by winter. I guess some of the same feelings can be applied to "time of life" too. Your dahlia pictures are beautiful. At my end of the world we're enjoying the first signs of spring. Harder to get that to apply to my life as a whole though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Autumn both as a season and as a stage in life. Although there is a poignancy to both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post, Pauline. I absolutely understand what you are talking about. My dog is definitely in her winter years. I've never heard the term of people being in their autumn years or winter years. How profound to think in those terms.

    Your flower pics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!