Saturday 4 July 2009

How to Lose a Saturday morning

If there's one thing I could give lessons on, it's wasting time.

Honestly, I think that would be the one thing at which I could really, truly, excel. I might be able to "do" a few things but I bet I'd be much, much better at avoiding them with just the slightest distraction.

Today I managed to spend a whole morning trying to get a photo of a fantail. Why? I have no idea! A bit like Sir Ed Hilary and Mt Everest - "because it was there!"??



The cows that are due to calve are around my house today. Even after all these years I still love to witness a calf being born, so I keep checking to see if there is any action. And every time I look I am distracted by the fantails. They just love to accompany the herd. The cows disturb the little insects they eat when they munch through the grass, so they are desirable companions.

There is a delay on my camera between when I press the button and when the photo is taken, so I'm hopeless at action shots. And fantails flit around very quickly. But there is one photo I like.



The fantail in this shot is behind the twig but you can see where it is by following the cows eyes. And the cow in the background is keeping its eye on another one.

See, I'm not the only one distracted by the lovely little birds.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! And I also would excel in a "distraction" job. There is just so much to see and so much to be discovered - I can't help it!
    I have never seen a calf being born. My brother-in-law used to have cattle, and I always told him that I wanted to witness a birth, but I never got the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

I love to know who's visiting. Leave me a sign!